Wednesday, June 3, 2009

no, but seriously, the big one IS coming

A huge part of my writing philosophy is "write what you know".

I think a lot of people could be great writers if they understood this concept. Every single one of us has a story, unique, and fascinating. It's these unique parts about us that make us who we are -- and if we can tap into this when we write, our writing becomes that much better. Other people will recognize it as human. And every great story has a beating heart.

Now keep in mind -- I didn't say "write ABOUT what you know". Because you can't keep sitting around writing about yourself. Unless you're writing an autobiography, or your own Wikipedia page.

What you have to do is take what you're writing about and make it your own.

By the way... Did you know that Youtube has a Twitter?

I'm starting to get scared. I think I read about this kind of thing in Revelation. Next comes the huge cloud of locusts. (or a firmament-rending earthquake)

No comments: