Tuesday, June 9, 2009

beam me UP scotty

I saw Up and Star Trek last weekend... Yes, my taste in movies is exactly what advertisers tell me it should be. And yes, both movies are super-candidates for bona fide BSB status. But remember what I said (roughly): "When a buckblastin-blockbuster works, IT WORKS." And both movies were fantastic.


I give Up ups for its sheer audacious originality, and Star Trek deserves kudos for its talented cast of actors. Both movies had insane visuals and CGI. Both were well-directed (Pete Docter for Pixar, J.J. Abrams for Paramount) and well-written enough to make HUNDREDS of millions worldwide... and these are not easy things to accomplish by any means. If you don't think so, ask yourself how many other people are putting out $100M+ films.


Now granted, both Up and Star Trek were put out by major major major corporations. It does kinda seem like that's the game you're forced to play when you want to make a BSB... sell it to a Big 6 studio. Paramount, Disney, WB, Universal. (Two others.) Now that's really goddamn hard to do -- unless you've got a pedigree like Pixar, or you're writing for a major franchise of movies like Trek. Or you're willing to sell your soul to the corporate overlords.

As far as me personally, as a writer (potential director or whatever)? Because I know you're wondering how I fit in to all this discussion of blockbusters and buckblasters and Big 6 studios.

Getting to a level of success where I could potentially make BSBs would be an amazing opportunity. On a very basic level, I'm strongly motivated to be the best, to excel, in everything I do. The one thing I fear the most is mediocrity. So part of me badly wants to achieve that level of success in my career -- but another part thinks that I might have to sell my soul to get there.

Well, I could get a job with Pixar.

Anyway -- This is all just a daydream for now. Bottom line, if you haven't caught Up or Star Trek already, try to see either one on the big screen. Or you could check out The Hangover. That one's making an F-ton of money as well.

Now give me a snappy line to go out on.

No comments: