Friday, June 20, 2008

square one

The first blog post is always the hardest.

I've been sitting here staring at a blank text screen, watching the little cursor blink on and off, smiling to myself every time Google autosaves the draft-- as if the empty whiteness was somehow full of brilliant material, needing to be preserved just in case my computer crashes and I lose all of this nothingness.

Well actually, now I've got two little paragraphs done. Progress!

My name is Iggy. Or at least, that's what I'm calling myself. Truth be told, my real name isn't that important. If you know me, you know my name. If you don't, tough cookies. As far as you know, I'm a 75-year-old geriatric Miss America (or former Miss America), tapping away at the keys in between rounds of Mahjong at a retirement home in Scottsdale, AZ.

(All joking aside, though, Mahjong is the shit. Outside of Freecell there's no better time-waster.)

But there's one thing you do need to know about me here: I'm an aspiring writer and filmmaker.

Having struggled through a couple years at a very respected university, and having achieved decidedly mediocre results, I'm more convinced than ever that I'm not really the academic type. The truth is, I don't know how much I really have to offer the world, from an "importance" standpoint. But I think I have a shot at doing something creative, something that will let me leave my mark, something that might give me a small piece of a "legacy" someday. And at the end of the day, I just fucking love a really good movie-- and I want to make one someday. Who knows? Maybe I'm really good at it. I've never tried it before.

And so we finally come to the reason behind this blog. I'm going to chronicle my steps toward realizing that dream... through all the setbacks and triumphs, the long hours, the awful jobs, through EVERYTHING that it takes to break into the film business. If you're looking for a guide, you won't find one here. I have no idea what the fuck I'm doing. But I hope you'll still stick around for the ride.

So there we go. My first blog post is finito, and it's about frigging time, because there's a shuffleboard tournament at six that's calling my name, and I haven't taken my meds yet.

I'm Iggy, and this is my quest.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Iggy. Here is a banana peel. [You have acquired a new item!]. When the time comes, you'll know.

Godspeed, mi amigo. And I think you should know the verification word of the day is:

pfoozwtt.

I like it.

Iggy said...

Rayman393. My old nemesis...

When are you going to start a blog, fool?

Ray Ho said...

http://unbizcocho.blogspot.com/

New York is basically one big cost-benefit analysis when it comes to getting sleep or any sort of rest. I'm burnt and tired, but whatever. lol. I think I've accepted it as the usual state of things. I haven't "slept in" past 9 or 10 since winter break.