Thursday, December 11, 2008

thanks for all the fish

And just like that-- it's over.

Saturday of last week I was at a football game. My esteemed university was taking on the evil Rival University Douchebags, and I'm an alto saxophone in the school band. It was kind of out of my hands... I had to skip work that day.

Well, it turns out Saturday was the last day of production on Wedding Palace.

And five days later, here I am: the Iggy formerly known as a production assistant. Now just an unemployed Iggy.

Yes, there was a wrap party. Yes, I missed that, too.

Not exactly a storybook ending to my first real Hollywood job.

I did get a call a couple of days ago from my boss, Key PA. He told me he'd be calling me sometime in the near future with a new job. And hopefully I'll get paid for this one.

In some ways it kind of sucks that it ended so abruptly, and that I had to miss the payoff for all the hard work. In other ways... I'm still just happy I got the job in the first place. I feel like this gig really opened up a lot of possibilities for me. I met a bunch of producers, writers, director-hopefuls, and if I keep working with them I can give them material and such. This PA job was really a blessing, and I can't look past that.

So Iggy's Quest is going to take another turn. Now that my foot is "in the door", I have to start pulling together stories and ideas. I need a full script (that doesn't suck) and a few new concepts. It isn't about getting the job anymore-- or even keeping the job. It's about making the absolute best of this opportunity. No more wasting time. I have to start writing. TODAY.

I'm not gonna let this slip away like I let everything else slip away. Iggy isn't phoning it in anymore.

The good news is, I would definitely have to call my first Hollywood job a success!

No comments: