Saturday, September 6, 2008

you can't fight in here-- this is the war room!

I think I've come up with a new concept for a movie-- one that seems to have a lot more promise than the first screenplay I wrote! Exciting stuff, it is. I'm still not too sure on the details so I won't get into it here. You can kill a story by trying to tell it before it's written.

Let's just say it's a mind-f#!&.

Here's another item of interest for me. I just bought this:

It was the best purchase of my life. I am absolutely in love with these movies, and I'm just in awe of Stanley Kubrick. Within the past year he's grown to become my favorite director.

If you can't see the titles, here's what came with it:
Lolita
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
2001: A Space Odyssey
A Clockwork Orange
Barry Lyndon
The Shining
Full Metal Jacket
Eyes Wide Shut
(plus a documentary about Kubrick's life)

The only ones I haven't watched yet are Lolita and Eyes Wide Shut-- the other six are unqualified masterpieces.

Honestly, if you've never seen a Kubrick film, you really owe it to yourself to watch one. In reality you should probably see all of them. I will let you borrow one or more if you ask nicely-- maybe I'll even watch them with you. :)

Seriously, this guy is unparalleled when it comes to making movies. The sheer craft and technique he used. Not to mention the great stories and characters. Pure genius. (And I don't use that word lightly!)

My favorite film of his is Paths of Glory, which sadly wasn't included in the boxed set, but I went out and bought it anyway. What an incredible film.

I noticed I've thrown around a lot of hyperbole in this entry. Well I don't care. I'm still blown away.

These are the kinds of movies I wish I was good enough to make.

No comments: