Monday, September 8, 2008

we still need those extras

There's a seminar at a certain top-flight university this weekend. It's about making a career in entertainment, starting from the bottom as an intern or assistant. I saw the listing on Craigslist the other day... it was in between "Wanna be a HIGH-END HOLLYWOOD HAIR STYLIST?" and "(21+) Extras Needed for Adult Film".

I followed up on the seminar and discovered that it's a one-day event, or to put it another way, eight and a half hours of lectures from the VP of some production company. At the end of the day you get a sheet of paper with phone numbers on it, and a listing of companies with job openings in their bottom rung. The cost? $75.

I guess I shouldn't have been surprised by this. Hollywood has made an empire out of packaging and repackaging the same worthless stuff every year. Ironically the same place I found the seminar listed-- Craigslist-- I can also find job openings galore, as well as the phone numbers and email addresses I need to contact in order to apply.

So why would I pay $75 for the same information? Well... yeah I wouldn't.

I'm just gonna keep waiting for something from Craigslist to pan out.

No comments: