Saturday, May 9, 2009

watermelon cubes

Wow. Have I really not written an update here since that stupid Playoff predictions list?

Sometimes the fact that I get any readers whatsoever is enough to make me thank the Lord God of Google, for indexing my pictures of the business chimp and Veiny Rambo. I still get hits on that baby.

Well, I wasn't too far off with most of my picks. The Spurs completely fell apart without Ginobili, losing to DALLAS in 5 games. That's a pretty sad way to go out, for a team who won a championship two (apparently long) years ago. I didn't give Houston the credit I should have. They looked strong, dismantled the Blazers' unbalanced attack, and they're poised to give my Lakers some more problems in the second round. I stand by my Eastern Conference picks... I think Miami had a real shot to win their series in 7, but D-Wade couldn't do EVERYTHING after all.

As far as my Quest -- I'm still stuck in limbo. I sent "667" off to a management agency who guarantees free script coverage, even if they don't pick you up as a client. I wrote another project that I'm really excited about, but I can't talk much about it yet. It involves the resurrection of a certain podcast I used to do with a friend of mine, but not in a way we've ever done before. Other than that, I'm just looking for odds-and-ends jobs to make money and kill time.

School has become a real interesting thing with me lately. Mainly in that I haven't been going. It's certainly not because I don't like the people I go to school with. I have several good friends there, who I've missed. It's a simple matter of burnout. I'm tired of the grind. Classes, homework, textbooks, midterms. I've been doing this stuff since I was three years old. (yes... preschool midterms were surprisingly brutal, where I went to school anyway.) And all my life I've been doing it for someone else's sake (aka Ma Iggy). Around a few months ago, I finally realized the truth: I don't have to go if I don't want to. No one is keeping score. It seems like an obvious thing, but if you've been raised all your life to believe otherwise, there's a hidden guilt factor you have to overcome before you can really take advantage. And it's not like a degree in sociology is particularly going to help me succeed as a writer, anyway.

Don't worry, I'm still doing my homework (mostly) and I'm still taking my midterms. Basically I'm doing the bare minimum I need to do in order to pass my classes. No apologies here. That's the way it is. And I love it.

So what have I been up to? I've been watching a lot of playoff basketball, for one thing. I've also been enjoying a brand-spanking-used MacBook Pro laptop that I got from my friend Diego. He really hooked me up with a great price -- and I seriously can't express how much I love this goddamn computer. It's just the thing I needed to really feel like a Legitimate Writer and Artist.

I've really tried to curb my Internet time though, despite the new 'top. I can't even remember the last time I was on Facebook. It's a nice thing, being disconnected from the Matrix a little bit. I'll probably be doing more of the same this summer.

Maybe I should put a picture here, so I can get more Google Image Search hits on search terms like "crunchy wet hair" and "Lindsay Lohan doing coke backstage with a Mexican mariachi band".


Woah woah woah woah woah. Okay, hold on a second. Are those supposed to be watermelon cubes? Apparently? Wow, that's weird. Are they even real watermelons? And as a follow-up: why would anyone ever do this to their watermelons?

Although I guess it does make them easier to store in Go Yaffa containers.

2 comments:

RoseInBloom said...

http://www.asahi.com/english/Herald-asahi/TKY200905090077.html

Heart-shaped watermelons are cooler.

bonnie said...

that "ma iggy" really makes you feel like she's got the whole world figured out, doesn't she?