Wednesday, August 20, 2008

i do love the taste of a good burger

Another day, another page in the diary of Iggy's Quest! Today's blog entry calls for a little bit of reader participation, so maneuver your mouse on over to the "comment" button and wait for my signal.

I've realized over the past few months, as I've started to really analyze films, that I really don't know much about how to make a really good movie. Alfred Hitchcock once said that to make a great film, you need three things: the script, the script and the script. I think he's got a point-- actually, that's one of my favorite movie-related quotes. However, the real truth is that you need a lot more than just a script. A lot of different elements have to come together, in subtle ways, to really make a classic.

I don't expect myself to ever reach that level... but I can aim for it.

So, my awesome readers, if you can spare a couple minutes, give this a shot. Name your favorite movie-- or if you can't pick one, name one of your favorites-- and give the reason why you believe it's a great movie. If you can think of a particular scene or character to use as an example, go for it. Again, this is all for my own selfish benefit, so really try to get into it. Four to six paragraphs would be ideal.

In reality though, a sentence or two will do.

And so you don't feel alone I'll do one too! (Mine will be longer than yours, probably)

My favorite movie is probably still Pulp Fiction. I just can't get over how good the script is, and how unique. The bizarre structure somehow ends up seeming completely natural and flows with the arc of the story (non-story?) My favorite scene is probably the intro, when Jules and Vincent bust into Brett's apartment. Really, really smart writing by Quentin Tarantino, from the good old days back before he went completely nuts with kung-fu homages and stylistic mishmashes (a la Kill Bill). And Samuel L. Jackson gives the badass performance of his career.

"I don't remember asking you a god-damn thing!"

Ahhhhhh. Classic!

I almost feel like I can't quote a single line from that scene without quoting the entire back-and-forth dialogue. It's so brilliant as a whole. Go back and watch it-- the tension escalates subtly, almost underneath the spoken words, but it works to create an extremely intense payoff. I honestly can't think of a better-written scene in any movie I've ever viewed, and the actors completely carry it off.

(edit: i can't believe i forgot to post the clip! whoops)



Ok, now... your turn.

2 comments:

Ray Ho said...

fight club. heh.

why? dialogue is brilliant, which makes for really amusing and unique characters (bob, marla singer, "Jack," tyler durden). so the characters plus the fun visuals make it amazing (ikea furniture scene, cgi explosion of apartment, end scene with the credit buildings exploding).

bonnie said...

well i would go with beauty and the beast or the notebook, but neither would be helpful.

i'm going to say girl, interrupted, then. because it's like one flew over the cuckoo's nest, but from a girl's perspective. plus, it's the only movie i can think of where wynona ryder is actually good, and angelina jolie is fantastic as lisa. stereotypes of what "crazy" really is are challenged.