Saturday, August 16, 2008

and we're back

Hi everybody. It's Iggy-- back on the blog wagon again. Regular updates are on their way.

You remember how I said I wanted to make a short film this summer, right?

Well, I apparently didn't account for the fact that I've never even come close to making a short before. Not even for a school project.

I also failed to account for Southern California's weather, which has been sunny and rainless for months. Originally my plan was to work around that by shooting in the early morning, when a marine layer should still be overhead-- but it's actually too hot for a marine layer this month. I've barely even encountered that before.

My script called for two-- TWO-- locations: a toy store and a shoe store. I went into a couple of stores around my neighborhood and asked if I could film there. They said "NO" so quickly, and so decisively, the force of the word itself blew me back out the front door and into the street. I guess there are corporate policies against things like that. Maybe they thought I was going to film all their secret, illicit shoe deals and sell the tape on the black market.

So I changed the script, and changed my plans. I'll have to find a reasonable facsimile of a shoe-store counter, so that I don't have to shoot in an actual store... and I'm changing the toy store into a pizza place. Why? If I told you that, I'd have to kill you. (Let's just say I work with what I'm given.)

Then I went up to the Los Angeles area to get a camera from my old boss. Turns out he didn't have the professional camera that day-- so he loaned me his personal camcorder. Extremely nice gesture on his part, but it definitely isn't a pro camera. I'll still get some good use out of it, though.

And on top of all that, I now have some severe scheduling conflicts that might mean I can't shoot the damn thing until September.

So basically, I fail at making a movie. Oh, don't worry-- it WILL BE DONE. But it won't be done soon.

I was hoping to do it in August, so that I'd have time to edit and then release it before summer's end. But a fall release isn't too bad. It's closer to Oscar season, so that's a plus. I should start it with a big "For Your Consideration" label.

Now then... Anybody know of any good production jobs?

3 comments:

Ray Ho said...

if you'll let me use a pretentious term:

I'm of the persuasion that you should go to film school after ucla. from what I've seen, it's awesome, you learn a lot of good stuff and get exposed to all the different parts of filmmaking, and you meet a bunch of cool people who are in some way related to your field, and it opens up a lot of connections/opportunities. this is not a shameless plug for NYU Tisch, and I am not being paid for this comment.

lol.

Iggy said...

what is this "ucla" you speak of? i'm just a blogger named Iggy, who's in the process of failing out of a college of fairly high prestige-- i'm not sure of the exact name of the school.

i think i've heard that "ucla" name somewhere, though. isn't that the place where everyone wears faux Dolce & Gabbana sunglasses and no one really knows you're there?

must be. in any case, i'm definitely planning on applying for a master's program in film-- i would love to get into NYU's department. we'll see if i can actually put together a decent application this time.

Ray Ho said...

you know, ucla. that mystical place where all good, southwestern souls come to rest and get piss drunk at fuckin awesome frat parties, bro.

from my field reports, those dolce's are real, baby. and don't you forget it.

hm it would be fun if you came to ny for grad school. i may very well be here for 3 years of it.