Thursday, October 16, 2008

we don't need no talkin pictures

Had my first film midterm today. It was harder than I expected. I think a lot of people messed up on it, so I'm still probably okay.

I've been watching some silent films lately-- The General, The Navigator, and just tonight I watched City Lights. The first two were made by Buster Keaton, and the third is a Charlie Chaplin movie. If you've never seen a silent movie before, check out one of those.

Seriously. DO IT.

You'll be surprised-- I know I was-- how entertaining and moving a film can be without spoken word.

City Lights, in particular, had one of the best endings of any movie I've seen in a long, long time. I don't want to give anything away if you haven't seen it, but if you have, you know exactly what I'm talking about. I never thought I would resonate so well with Charlie Chaplin.

The General was just absolutely classic from beginning to end. I'm so impressed by Keaton's ability not only to act and direct, but to pull off all his own stunts, which for this movie must have been extremely dangerous. The Navigator is also worth checking out, as it contains some classic scenes as well.

I have some more Chaplin films to watch, and I should probably check out Metropolis and Battleship Potemkin as well. There are a HUGE number of great movies I still haven't seen... I have a lot of catching up to do. But I'll definitely enjoy every minute.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

buster keaton<3 did almost die in most of his movies. facebook me up if you want to know how. im filled with useless trivia about him.

--hedgie

bonnie said...

ha. even before reading the comments section i was like "oh hedgie's sooo already commented about this!

buster keaton also appeared in episode three? i think of the new season of heroes. (: i think it was the general.

Emily said...

i want to see that other one.. mainly because of how amazingly wonderful the general was.
i don't buy movies often but i really want that one.